Technovera is an innovative tech scale-up that focuses on technology inclusion through the development
of simple technologies to improve last-mile access in Africa. The organisation has developed Pelebox, a
smart locker system that enables patients to collect their repeat chronic medication in under 30 seconds
instead of waiting hours on queues at public clinics. We are growing the team as we ramp up the number of
communities we serve. Our mission is to develop, promote and scale inclusive technologies, solving challenges
of access to quality healthcare in Africa.
We are looking for a “Financial Controller” to execute, manage and improve our financial accounting management
functions. In this role, you would be managing accounting records, continuously evaluating and managing risk,
overseeing accounting operations, analysing financial data, monitoring expenditure, and forecasting revenue.
You will also coordinate partnerships with external stakeholders on financial statements and auditing processes.
The ideal candidate is someone with strong analytical skills, good at resolving challenges, highly organized
with a natural affinity for numbers. They would be joining the team to streamline our accounting functions and
operations. They would provide financial analysis and reports. This position will generally oversee general
accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivables management and statutory reporting, internal control, tax,
and asset management.
If you are skilled and interested in working for a tech-enabled scale-up operating at the intersection of Access
to Quality Healthcare, Digital Technology, and Social Impact, then Technovera might be your new home.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities:
Controllership, Accounting Functions, and Tax:
• Manage business financial transitions – Weekly & Monthly Recons.
• Co-develop and ensure compliance with all accounting procedures, processes, and controls.
• Lead the implementation of improvements and efficiencies where possible, including:
• Compliance with local fiscal and regulatory compliance for the business, including tax and statutory financial statement filing/submission requirements.
• Lead and execute the Accounts Payable (A/P) process and ensure timely payments in accordance with contractual agreements.
• Lead the Accounts Receivable (A/R) process and deliver accurate, timely, and insightful accounts receivable aging reporting, with a view to improving any A/R balances.
• Manage the month-end & year-end close process for the business.
• Deliver monthly accounting reconciliations for the business.
• Manage the monthly funding processes ensuring that the business operation is appropriately funded, and intercompany balances are settled timely.
• Coordinate the preparation, review, and submission of Project Expense Reports for specific funders on a monthly basis.
• Manage day-to-day relationships with all the business function team leads.
• Manage payroll and associated processes to ensure accurate payroll calculation and timely payment to employees.
• Support Human Resources, Legal, HRIS, and Payroll, as necessary, concerning employment status and payroll.
• Lead tax matters, including VAT compliance/recovery, withholding taxes; tax packages, and statutory tax compliance.
• Coordinate the preparation, review, and filing/submission of Annual, Quarterly, and Monthly Budgets.
• Coordinate the preparation, review, and filing/submission of Quarterly and Monthly Management Accounts.
• Coordinate the preparation, review, and filing/submission of Statutory Financials, and company tax returns with the internal accounting team and accounting service providers.
• Responsible for ensuring that adequate internal controls are maintained.
• Running and monitoring invoicing and income.
• Develop daily/weekly work plan, outline associated daily tasks, targets and report daily and/or weekly on completed actions.
Overall Integrity of the Financial Results Management:
• Prepare, analyze, and compile operational explanations for P/L and B/S versus Budget, and Year-to-Date.
• Drive automation of processes and process excellence.
• Responsible for ensuring that adequate internal controls are developed and maintained.
• Draft financial policies and procedures to ensure consistent application of accounting rules and have documentation on hand detailing how and why accounting decisions were reached.
• Communicate and reinforce company policies and procedures throughout all the business functions.
• Oversee compliance with travel policy and expense reporting.
• Enforce fixed asset tagging control system and monitor the movement of fixed assets.
Experience & Qualification:
• Bachelor's Degree in Accounting/Finance or equivalent [Minimum NQF 7].
• Minimum 3 years working experience | post-qualified experience preferred.
• Experienced in leveraging accounting software, ideally SAGE and Xero.
• Professional Accounting Accreditation.
• Computer Literacy.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office (MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
• Experienced with Payroll | VAT | Tax | and Budgeting.
• Excellent analytical skills and ability to work independently.
• Excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills.
• Experience in process reengineering and building financial controls.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. This means early applications that fit the role have the highest probabilities of being short listed, interviewed and selected. The best time to apply is today. Once the right candidate is selected, the role will be removed from our website.
We are committed to employment equity, diversity and inclusion when recruiting internally and externally. All appointments are made in alignment to our employment equity goals. We encourage women & people with disabilities to apply.
Technovera Pty Ltd,
41 Juta Street, Braamfontein,
The Innovation Factory,
6 Mark Shuttleworth Street,
The Innovation Hub, Lynnwood,